Friday, June 3, 2016

FFWC Challenge #1

Hi guys! I'm on Team Fedora on Anonymous A's writing camp, FFWC. This story I wrote was actually a bit difficult for me, as I usually stick to dramatic fantasy-type of writing (I mostly blame this on LOTR :) So, it probably isn't some of my best writing, but I'm pretty certain it isn't terrible, plus, it took me out of my comfort zone. And, of course, I just had to have brain fog today, so that isn't helping matters XD. But, anyway, I did have quite a bit of fun writing this. Here are the prompts:



tumblr_o5lrn7HG801u7ofv5o1_500


The Unforgotten 

     Mayor Anna Casey sat at her desk, filing paperwork. She was quite frustrated. She had wanted to become the mayor to help people, but all she had been doing lately was signing her name on papers she didn't even bother reading. 
     "Mom!" Alaina, her ten year old daughter, raced in to her office. "It's your lunch break! You promised to take me out to eat today!" Alaina stared at her mother expectantly. Mayor Casey sighed for the second time.
     "So I did." She stood up. "Where do you have in mind?" 
     "What about McDonald's? You've never taken me there before. " Alaina asked excitedly, unaware of the effect this would have on her mother. Mayor Casey sucked in her breath. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't escape the memories. It had happened at McDonald's, when she and her twin sister had been seven. That was the last she had seen her sister.
     "Mom?" Mayor Casey started. 
     "Sorry, Honey. McDonald's, you said?" She searched for an excuse. "McDonald's is certainly not the healthiest option-" She was abruptly cut off as Alaina threw herself on a chair. 
     "I'm going to die if I don't get to eat McDonald's." She declared dramatically. Mayor Casey rolled her eyes at Alaina's antics. 
"Wanting McDonald's is not a medical emergency." She informed her daughter.
"Please?" Alaina begged, still trying her best to act as dramatic as possible.
*                                                                    *                                                                             *
"Mom, am I allowed to get a hamburger?" Mayor Casey bit her lip anxiously.
"Yes dear, that's fine." She answered, distracted. She took a deep breath. Anna, you're fine. Calm yourself. You're acting quite ridiculous. She reached into her purse to retrieve her credit card. 
"Drat. Alaina, could you please go fetch my credit card out of the car?" She tossed her daughter the keys.
"Yes Mom, will do." Alaina cheekily grinned at her mother, and then raced out to the car. Once her daughter left, Mayor Casey began to regret not going with her. She took a deep breath; again. Goodness, it had happened so long ago. Why couldn't she forget it?
"Mom." She glanced up to see her daughter's shocked face.
"Did you get my credit card?"
"You need to see this." Alaina raced out the door, Mayor Casey trying her best to keep up with her daughter's faster pace. Once outside, Alaina pointed to a homeless woman. Mayor Casey sighed impatiently.
"How many times do I have to tell you, it's rude to point. Anyway, what's so special about a homeless person? She can go to the shelter if she needs help." She turned to go back inside, but then she caught sight of the woman's face. It was her face. Mayor Casey's eyes filled with tears. "Hannah." 



3 comments:

  1. WOW! That was awesome, L.Rose! I loved the cliffhanger, not to mention the title. Go team Fedora! :D
    •Madi•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your story was awesome as well, I wasn't able to comment on it for some reason. Yay for team Fedora!
      ~L.Rose

      Delete